Using Business as a Force for Good in SE Portland
At Bridgetown we believe we have a fundamental responsibility to conduct our business in a safe, responsible, and sustainable manner than considers the impact of today’s business on future generations. That’s why we were one of the first manufacturing companies in the world to certify as a B Corp in 2014, joining a global community of leaders that uses business as a force for good, and creating value for all stakeholders – not just shareholders.
What is a B Corp?
B Corp is a corporate social responsibility certification that allows companies to measure their performance against environmental, social, and community impact goals. The mission of B Lab, a non-profit that certifies B Corps, is transforming the global economy to benefit all people, communities and the planet. Today there are over 4000 B Corps across 150 industries in 77 countries. The standards a company must meet to recertify are more challenging every year.
- In 2021 Bridgetown was recognized (again!) as a “Best For The World” company in the Community category, in part for our job growth rate in the SE Portland neighborhood, percentage of women in management, and percentage of revenue donated each year.
- Bridgetown provides support to our neighbors at Zenger Farm, a working urban farm that educates community members about sustainable food systems, environmental stewardship, community development and access to good food for all.
- Bridgetown minimizes the use of toxins in manufacturing through the use of Organic and non-GMO ingredients when we Make the Food We Want Our Families to Eat.
- We make positive changes with projects like installing motion sensor lights, eliminating single use cans and bottles, and responsibly disposing of waste. We also host “Earth Week” sustainability events every year for Earth Day.
- We work with partners who share our values. As part of our Supplier Code of Conduct, we seek out suppliers who exceed minimum legal requirements in their treatment of their team and the planet.
- We speak over 40 languages, and the majority of our team members are from typically underrepresented populations.
- The leadership team continues to prioritize improving our benefits, wages, and opportunities for promotion for all members of our team.
- At our monthly Farm Stand employee recognition event, our team receives fresh, organic produce at no cost.
- We focus on delivering orders on time, meeting or exceeding our customers’ quality expectations as a BRCGS AA plant, and improving efficiency as we scale together.
- Bridgetown excels at introducing new, innovative products that meet rigorous standards of certification depending on customer need, including USDA Organic, Oregon Tilth, Non-GMO Project Verified, and more.